The Maine Adventure

The Property
The Site...  Landscaping... Outside Design... The Natural Environment...
TheCape
Gentle Demolition...  Moving the Barn...  Moving the Cape...  Reconnecting the Cape...  The Cape Renovation... Becoming a B&B...
The Farmhouse
Prepping for the Farmhouse...Modular Farmhouse & Stick-built Garage...Farmhouse Interior...
The Homer Jones Barn
The original Homer Jones Barn...The new HJ Barn...Homer Barn Interior...Owner's Quarters


The Heroes-My Working Partners...  The Gallery... The Retreats... The Destination Weddings
 

 

Project 12: The Cape Renovation
A. Removing the Siding  B. New Deck   C. Removing Walls  D. New Doghouse Dormers

Although the Cape was not really going to be a 'new building', it was certainly getting a major facelift.  Here are the plans designed by my architectural designer:

 

 Here's what we actually built:
.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

Here's the environment:
.

 

 
And here's the story:

A. Removing the Siding  Here are my 'magic men', back on the job again. Harold is widely known for his 'gentle demolition' and it was time to take the clapboards off, to be used on the old barn (we thought), and to replace them on the Cape with maintenance-free fiber cement siding. Harold took off the old clapboards gently and then Ron de-nailed them. Underneath are ancient, wide boards and historic nails.

Most of the clapboards are off and the exposed walls are protected from the weather.

B. New Wraparound Deck    Before the deck could be started, the holes for the posts were dug, the cement poured, and then the decking rested firmly. In August, the carpenter hired a couple of college-bound young men to help out, with a start on the hole-digging.

Then a start on the decking.

 
Once the deck structure was in place, it was time to install the decking. I had done serious research about low-maintenance materials and come to a decision between composite, like Correct Deck, and a natural but long-lasting product, ipe. I chose ipe, "an environmentally responsible choice of incredibly strong, dense wood from naturally sustainable forests which resists rot, decay, insects, and mold". It's a commodity and I got a good price from Home Depot. I treated the material and then Harold and Richard drilled and screwed it to the deck structure.
 
Meanwhile, it was time for me to get the furniture out of the house so that there was room to demolish and build on the interior, so all the stuff that was moved into the Cape and up from the basement, for the basement floor to be poured, was moved out to another two tents for safekeeping! Pheww! What a job.

 C. Removing Walls    The walls had been badly damaged by the deflection of the house when the building movers left it in the air for so long, so there was alot of repair to reclaim those walls, and it made sense to make some other adjustments to the interior structure for the new guest bedrooms and baths.

The guys made ALOT of sawdust!
  D. New Doghouse Dormers
The second floor of the house had no front views, so Dennis and I added three doghouse dormers to the design. These let in great light, allow views of the meadows and river, and visually tie the Cape to the other buildings on the lot.

Press here to continue the Maine adventure---More Cape Renovations

Back / Next


H